Wednesday 13 November 2013

Ever have one of those evenings?

When you're feeling blue, but for no particular reason? Then you hear a song and you think to yourself, this has got to be one of the saddest songs in the world. Roxy Music fits the bill for me tonight. Oh yeah.


There's a band playing on the radio
With a rhythm of rhyming guitars
There's a band playing on the radio
And it's drowning the sound of my tears
They're playing "oh yeah" on the radio


Is he really singing "oh yeah on the radio"? I've always heard it as "the hit on the radio". I'm notorious for misunderstanding what people say, and misunderstanding song lyrics. A couple of examples:

Bon Jovi's I'll Be There For You - he really sings "I'll be the water when you get thirsty, baby", but for a long time I thought it was, "I'll be the warrant when you get busted, baby". I never understood how that constituted being there for someone.


I realized my error after singing that part loud and proud while partying with some friends. They had a good laugh (as did I).

Another misunderstanding was with INXS's Never Tear Us Apart.


We could live for a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I may well vomit tears

Instead of "I'd make wine from your tears". Despite the vomit line, I always thought this was one of the sexiest songs ever. It took me years to realize what the actual line was.

Oh! The worst, and I mean the worst, misunderstanding I had was with this song right here - Bailamos with Enrique Iglesias.


I was in my car when I first heard this song. I didn't realize he was singing partly in Spanish, so imagine my shock when I hear:

By the balls
Let your woman take you over by the balls

Wow, I thought, radio sure has become more liberal with what they're allowing on the air ...


No comments:

Post a Comment