Thursday 1 August 2013

My Son is 12 Today

In honour of The Boy's existence, I thought I would show what songs make me think of him.


Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse. This song was everywhere when I was pregnant with him. The lyrics apply to how I felt being pregnant with him, and the love I felt for him even then.


It's so cliché, but yeah. He's a Beautiful Boy. And I love the lyric, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans".


When I was pregnant, I didn't bother to read books about pregnancy. After reading parts of What to Expect When You're Expecting during my first pregnancy, I wasn't that impressed with it, and figured common sense would serve me better. Plus, when my sister was pregnant the first time, she devoured book after book. And she would quote what she read, too. My view is that you can't learn about motherhood with a book, you learn about it with a baby.

Having said that, I did buy one book - The Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg. Excellent book. She talks about what to do with the baby after the baby is born. (Better to read it while still pregnant, though so you can start with her suggestions right off the bat.) Anyway, one thing she said was if your baby was fussy, sing to them. She claims in the book it doesn't matter how you sound (it does), it's your voice the baby will respond to. This song was popular when he was a baby. So, I tried it one morning. He stopped fussing. But he also had this "wtf is coming out of your mouth, woman?" look on his face. This was my go-to song, because he would look at me with a half-smile as if he was thinking, "I want to laugh, but she's my Mom so I shouldn't." When he was 2, Muchmusic showed her in concert. Ever seen a 2 year-old stay in one spot for a long amount of time? Throw on a Kylie Minogue dvd. He even said, "Whoa" at one point. Such a guy.

(p.s. the first dancer in this video kind of looks like Flula, don't you think?)


Whenever Higher Ground by RHCP came on, he'd rock back and forth, lift his hands up to his shoulders, and wiggle his fingers while he had a huge smile on his face. I'm guessing he liked the colours and the motion.

I tried to find a good quality video for this song, but youtube doesn't seem to have one.



Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. When my son was a toddler, Nissan used this song in a commercial. Every time it came on, I'd say, "Listen [Son], this song is about you!"


One year we took him to La Ronde (amusement park in Montréal), and on the ride home, this song came on the radio. I think it was fairly new at the time. I was about to change the station, but I heard him in the back seat, singing along quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment